Direkt zum Hauptbereich

My favourite books on buddhism, personal growth and spirituality

I said I would publish lists now, and I keep my promises usually.
Here comes a list of books that did not exactly change my life (though a bit they all did) but helped me shape my perspective on life and myself immensely over the past twenty years. Each of those books put a major impact into my life. and funny enough each of those books came to me by chance, by coincidence and each time it felt like stumbling over something meaningful, the universe presented to me to make me learn something, to wake me up really to what was possible for me, how much more depth and choices I was allowed to look for.


  • Suzuki Roshi Zen Mind Beginners Mind I mentioned this before. It was the first book I ever read about  buddhism and after this I was basically hooked. The minute I started reading it I also started to meditate on my friends sofa. It opened for me, a girl coming from the catholic german narrowminded smalltown world, a whole different world of how I could be. It opened a road and I am still walking this road and I am still loving it. 
  • Natalie Goldberg Writing down the bones Actually I would have to give the credit for finding buddhism to Natalie Goldberg. Because her book, over which I stumbled in an american bookstore by total accident while looking for something else did it. And then I returned to the bookstore and got Suzuki Roshi next. 
  • Sharon Salzberg Lovingkindness Just a very very good book to read and reread again and again for a person like me with hairs on her teeth and a sharp mind, the tendency to make fun about just anything and the tendency to judge even more, everything. Way to go!!!
  • Sharon Salzberg Voices of insight Another really good book by Sharon Salzberg. I mean, if I get real I might just tell you: Read all her books. You cant go wrong!!
  • Byron Katie Loving what is helped me and still helps me, since I reread parts of it often, whenever I feel stuck in some way, to change my perspective on what is. It is mind blowing to understand, how most of what you believe to be true could be basically the opposite and to understand at the same time that it really does not matter. Maybe the most liberating book I ever read. 
  • Gloria Steinem Revolution from within This book I found while going through my roommates shelf. I liked the title and I was interested in Gloria Steinem and I was not prepared for the intensity of what it did to me. It was actually the first book that made me understand that a lack of selfesteem is something societies do to their members, that children acquire it already in school, that it was something I had inherited and that it was necessary to cure this. Not just for me but for society in general. No society can be healthy if its members are weak. It helped me immensely to start a way to much more self esteem by pure understanding the mechanics of poor self esteem and how I had learned it. It helped me to act towards my daughters in a way that I would say: so far they dont suffer from low self esteem and that is fantastic.
  • Kathlyn und Gay Hendricks The conscious heart One of the best books I ever read about relationships. 
  • Lenore Friedman Meetings with remarkable women Wonderful! Packed with wise words and very interesting lifes of breathtakingly inspirational personalities, all of which happen to be women! 
  • Lenore Friedman & Susan Moon Being Bodies Another book full of wisdom and insight in questions about being a woman, being buddhist, accepting your body and yourself. Made me happy to read it and I learned a lot!
  • Amy Schmidt Dipa Ma The story of an extraordinary life. I found this book in our hallway. Sometimes people put things there they don't want anymore and one morning it was sitting there, like waiting for me. I read it in one evening and it left me deeply satisfied. Books can make me happy. This was one that did.
  • Tiziano Terzani Das Ende ist mein Anfang was a very inspirational book to me. It gave me courage again to look for my path, to listen to my inner voice. Very wise and philosophical too! 
  • Jon und Myla Kabat-Zinn Everyday Blessings. The inner work of mindful parenting was the book that saved me when I had my first child and was unable to tame my ego rebelling against the duties and chains of parenthood. I stumbled across this book the way I stumble often across books, that I need right at that  moment and it taught me more then just being a good parent, it taught me a new perspective on life. In that perspective I wasnt as important anymore as I thought I was. The best thing was, that when I started reading it, one day crossing the street I saw a flyer announcing that those two people from America were actually coming to Neukölln and to give a lecture about that book. Attending that plus reading the book was my wake up call into the happiness of being a mother. My daughter became my zen master and I pretty much believe, I am her zen master too today and now I have a second zen master, Lilly, and sometimes I feel she is even stricter then her sister.
I am always happy to hear about your books, so feel free to tell me what books shaped or maybe even changed your life!




Kommentare

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

100 bemerkenswerte Bücher - Die New York Times Liste 2013

Die Zeit der Buchlisten ist wieder angebrochen und ich bin wirklich froh darüber, weil, wenn ich die mittlerweile 45 Bücher gelesen habe, die sich um mein Bett herum und in meinem Flur stapeln, Hallo?, dann weiß ich echt nicht, was ich als nächstes lesen soll. Also ist es gut, sich zu informieren und vorzubereiten. Außerdem sind die Bücher nicht die gleichen Bücher, die ich im letzten Jahr hier  erwähnt hatte. Manche sind die gleichen, aber zehn davon habe ich gelesen, ich habe auch andere gelesen (da fällt mir ein, dass ich in den nächsten Tagen, wenn ich dazu komme, ja mal eine Liste der Bücher erstellen könnte, die ich 2013 gelesen habe, man kann ja mal angeben, das tun andere auch, manche richtig oft, ständig, so dass es unangenehm wird und wenn es bei mir irgendwann so ist, möchte ich nicht, dass Ihr es mir sagt, o.k.?),  und natürlich sind neue hinzugekommen. Ich habe Freunde, die mir Bücher unaufgefordert schicken, schenken oder leihen. Ich habe Freunde, die mir Bücher aufgeford

Und keiner spricht darüber von Patricia Lockwood

"There is still a real life to be lived, there are still real things to be done." No one is ever talking about this von Patricia Lockwood wird unter dem Namen:  Und keiner spricht darüber, übersetzt von Anne-Kristin Mittag , die auch die Übersetzerin von Ocean Vuong ist, am 8. März 2022 bei btb erscheinen. Gestern tauchte es in meiner Liste der Favoriten 2021 auf, aber ich möchte mehr darüber sagen. Denn es ist für mich das beste Buch, das ich im vergangenen Jahr gelesen habe und es ist mir nur durch Zufall in die Finger gefallen, als ich im Ebert und Weber Buchladen  meines Vertrauens nach Büchern suchte, die ich meiner Tochter schenken könnte. Das Cover sprach mich an. Die Buchhändlerin empfahl es. So simpel ist es manchmal. Dann natürlich dieser Satz, gleich auf der ersten Seite:  "Why did the portal feel so private, when you only entered it when you needed to be everywhere?" Dieser Widerspruch, dass die Leute sich nackig machen im Netz, das im Buch immer &q

Writing at the Fundacion Valparaiso in Mojacar, Spain

„…and you too have come into the world to do this, to go easy, to be filled with light, and to shine.“ Mary Oliver I am home from my first writing residency with other artists. In Herekeke , three years ago, I was alone with Miss Lilly and my endlessly talkative mind. There were also the mesa, the sunsets, the New Mexico sky, the silence and wonderful Peggy Chan, who came by once a day. She offers this perfect place for artists, and I will be forever grateful to her. The conversations we had, resonate until today within me. It was the most fantastic time, I was given there, and the more my time in Spain approached, I pondered second thoughts: Should I go? Could I have a time like in Herekeke somewhere else, with other people? It seemed unlikely. When I left the airport in Almeria with my rental car, I was stunned to find, that the andalusian landscape is so much like New Mexico. Even better, because, it has an ocean too. I drove to Mojacar and to the FundacionValparaiso