Direkt zum Hauptbereich

Alice Munro - Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage

Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage: Stories

It's like an addiction to read Alice Munro. I want to get to know all the people, she writes about. I am in love with all the people, who crowd the beautiful stories in this collection Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Liveship, Marriage. They always seem to lead a fairly normal, unspectacular life somewhere in a small Canadian town or the countryside, until you sense, that underneath their surface, there is turmoil and weirdness and a truth, covered up in their everyday lifes, but nonetheless shaping them entirely with their underground current. The surface always, in the end, plays the minor part in all their lifes, even though it takes up most of their lifetime.
There is a woman, a boring woman somewhat, who never had any adventures, who served others, who is taken for granted by others or even ridiculed, who ships furnitures across the country to a man, she only met once, with whom she exchanged a few letters. She is not pretty or too smart, only smart enough to dive for her one great chance in life. The end of this particular story left me breath- and speechless. There was so much in it, so much surprise and beauty. I was lying in my hammock and exclaimed into the cherry tree "My god, this was perfect! A perfect story!" In another, a man has to bring his wife into a home for old people, because she shows more and more signs of dementia. He is not allowed to visit her for a month, for her to get adjusted to the new environment, but when he finally returns, she does not recognize him anymore and is more or less in love with another patient there, who is also married and only there for a brief time to give his wife a break. When she comes to take him back, everything changes and the husband does, what he needs to do to save his wife.
A very young woman visits her halfsister in Toronto to find a job maybe, but also to reunite with her sister. This halfsister is now married to their mutual music teacher from years back, she actually eloped with him and never contacted her family again until she was in desperate need of some money. The musicteacher is not too likable a character, but rather harsh and cold and with a tendency to be violent. The young woman sees herself escaping with her half sister, living a new life together and finds herself abandoned again.
Alice Munro tells us all these seemingly simple stories in such depth, she never leaves out an undercurrent and as a reader, one gets to know the characters, like they were family. I am addicted to read Alice Munro and let her explain the world to me. I want to meet everybody, she ever wrote about. No, actually, I want her to write about me and in reading my story, composed by her, I would understand, who I am, who I was, who I always was meant to be, I could see the undercurrent running my life. I would understand, that nothing in my life has the importance, that I ever thought  it had, and I would understand, how important things were on the other hand, that I never noticed, while they were shaping my life. I would fall in love with myself, like I fall in love with each and everyone of her characters, because there is clarity and understanding. She makes one fall in love with life and at the same time see its utter fleetingness, just not much really, to cling to in the end and yet: does it matter? No. The moments matter and the undercurrents.
I loved every story in this book, which made me call my bookstore, my favourite bookstore, to find out, if they had any others by her in stock. I want to read The Love of a Good Woman next.Yes, I loved every story, but if you would force me to choose one, I think it would be the one, giving the book its title: "Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage". The perfect story.
Every story was a revelation, about life and myself, so in the end, she writes about me, all the time, like she writes about everybody else and everything. That is, how universal she writes and how deep she dives.

© Susanne Becker

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

100 bemerkenswerte Bücher - Die New York Times Liste 2013

Die Zeit der Buchlisten ist wieder angebrochen und ich bin wirklich froh darüber, weil, wenn ich die mittlerweile 45 Bücher gelesen habe, die sich um mein Bett herum und in meinem Flur stapeln, Hallo?, dann weiß ich echt nicht, was ich als nächstes lesen soll. Also ist es gut, sich zu informieren und vorzubereiten. Außerdem sind die Bücher nicht die gleichen Bücher, die ich im letzten Jahr hier  erwähnt hatte. Manche sind die gleichen, aber zehn davon habe ich gelesen, ich habe auch andere gelesen (da fällt mir ein, dass ich in den nächsten Tagen, wenn ich dazu komme, ja mal eine Liste der Bücher erstellen könnte, die ich 2013 gelesen habe, man kann ja mal angeben, das tun andere auch, manche richtig oft, ständig, so dass es unangenehm wird und wenn es bei mir irgendwann so ist, möchte ich nicht, dass Ihr es mir sagt, o.k.?),  und natürlich sind neue hinzugekommen. Ich habe Freunde, die mir Bücher unaufgefordert schicken, schenken oder leihen. Ich habe Freunde, die mir Bücher aufgeford

Und keiner spricht darüber von Patricia Lockwood

"There is still a real life to be lived, there are still real things to be done." No one is ever talking about this von Patricia Lockwood wird unter dem Namen:  Und keiner spricht darüber, übersetzt von Anne-Kristin Mittag , die auch die Übersetzerin von Ocean Vuong ist, am 8. März 2022 bei btb erscheinen. Gestern tauchte es in meiner Liste der Favoriten 2021 auf, aber ich möchte mehr darüber sagen. Denn es ist für mich das beste Buch, das ich im vergangenen Jahr gelesen habe und es ist mir nur durch Zufall in die Finger gefallen, als ich im Ebert und Weber Buchladen  meines Vertrauens nach Büchern suchte, die ich meiner Tochter schenken könnte. Das Cover sprach mich an. Die Buchhändlerin empfahl es. So simpel ist es manchmal. Dann natürlich dieser Satz, gleich auf der ersten Seite:  "Why did the portal feel so private, when you only entered it when you needed to be everywhere?" Dieser Widerspruch, dass die Leute sich nackig machen im Netz, das im Buch immer &q

Writing at the Fundacion Valparaiso in Mojacar, Spain

„…and you too have come into the world to do this, to go easy, to be filled with light, and to shine.“ Mary Oliver I am home from my first writing residency with other artists. In Herekeke , three years ago, I was alone with Miss Lilly and my endlessly talkative mind. There were also the mesa, the sunsets, the New Mexico sky, the silence and wonderful Peggy Chan, who came by once a day. She offers this perfect place for artists, and I will be forever grateful to her. The conversations we had, resonate until today within me. It was the most fantastic time, I was given there, and the more my time in Spain approached, I pondered second thoughts: Should I go? Could I have a time like in Herekeke somewhere else, with other people? It seemed unlikely. When I left the airport in Almeria with my rental car, I was stunned to find, that the andalusian landscape is so much like New Mexico. Even better, because, it has an ocean too. I drove to Mojacar and to the FundacionValparaiso