Direkt zum Hauptbereich

About Poetry

For my workshop in Lisbon, I am supposed to write a 500 words text about, what poetry means to me. That's, what I wrote...of course it is too long: 568 words :-( I need to practise Haikus more!

Poetry for me is: putting the essence of a thought, a feeling, an experience, an impression into words, as beautiful, funny and deep as possible, as true as possible. To catch truth in midair with pen and paper. It always has to do with the Aha-effect of: yeah, right, that’s exactly how it was. Recognition of resemblance.
To write poetry is to breathe and also to live, even if this may sound self-important or vain. Maybe this is even true for writing and me in general. I started it when I was 12 years old and I never stopped. I wrote my first poems, when I was fifteen and founded a poetry magazine at school. We met weekly and were poets. They all loved my poems, so I felt happy, which wasn’t my usual feeling as a teenager. It elated me, to have something to say. My best experience was, when a german teacher asked me, if he could use one of my poems to present it to his class. Gosh, I felt like: the nobel prize was so close, I could already smell it.
Poetry is such a beautiful form. Poems do come very naturally to me. I sit down and write into my diary, every day, and often a poem will come out of what I write. I follow a string of pearly thoughts and, all of a sudden, a sentence sounds like music, and I know, I am on to something. I think you must be willing to dive pretty deep to write good poems. You can not remain at the surface at all. I need to write poems to make life, this under water life of feelings and soul and love and death accessible to my understanding. So in a way, I feel related to poets like Bishop, Oliver or Sexton, and in a different way, or maybe it is the same, I feel related to Zen Buddhist monks, who write Haikus to describe life. Wisdom captured in a few lines (well, compared to this, most of my poems are rather talkative).
I am a huge defender of stillness and loneliness. So as a poet, I bridge the gap between stillness and communication. You can not talk under water, but the truths, you find down there, can be communicated in as few words as possible. What I write my poems about is mostly, what I find in stillness.
Over the past year, poetry has become more and more important for me. It has been the teller of the story of my life. In this year, I reunited with my mom, and than she died.  A very spiritual experience, very painful, but also one of the most beautiful years of my life. Sitting with my dying mother was beautiful.
I also lost a friend, somebody I thought, was a soulmate. I was wrong. To trust somebody and be completely rejected, was beautiful too (no, actually it sucked). And that’s what I wrote about.
I discovered yoga during that year. And I think, yoga and poetry became my means to find my sanity, keep and maybe even express it.

Life is wild and tends to entangle us in many different chaotic directions and demands, like a ball of wool untangling and taking everything into its chaos. Poetry helps me to catch the thread, and rewind the ball of wool into a structure, you can actually use for your creativity. 

© Susanne Becker 

Kommentare

  1. This makes me wish we could live near enough to go for walks, and sit with tea, and talk face to face. I wish I were going to the workshop too! Have a terrific time!!

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. thank you so much, Ravenna! this comment is very kind of you and I would LOVE to get together and walk, and talk and have tea...I hope one day!!! Best wishes to you !!

      Löschen

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

Überbitten von Deborah Feldman

"Man könnte sagen, dass ich ein spirituelles Vertrauen in den nicht aufzuhaltenden Elan narrativer Entwicklungen hatte." Überbitten , das neue Buch von Deborah Feldman , handelt von den Jahren, nachdem sie die fundamentalistische, jüdische Gemeinde der chassidischen Satmarer in Williamsburg/New York verlassen hat. Es ist ein sehr persönliches Buch. Sie macht sich darin absolut sichtbar, vielleicht noch mehr, als in Unorhodox , dem Buch, in welchem sie ihr Leben bei den Chassiden und den Entschluss, es zu verlassen, schilderte. (hier nochmal meine Rezension von Unorthodox) Sie baut keinerlei Schutzwall um sich herum. Ihre absolute Ehrlichkeit und Authentizität sind zwei der Gründe, warum dieses Buch so gut ist. Es saugt einen vom ersten Satz an in seinen Bann. Es ist, als würde man mit einer wunderbaren Freundin quatschen, die einen nicht eine Sekunde lang hinters Licht führt. Frei von der Leber weg. Dabei intelligent, tiefsinnig, mit einer Menge Bezügen zu Denkern...

Joachim Meyerhoff - Ach diese Lücke, diese entsetzliche Lücke

"Großvater: "Wie gehts denn eigentlich Irmgard?" Großmutter: "Wer ist das denn?" Großvater: "Wie bitte?" Großmutter übertrieben laut, als würde sie über einen See rufen : "Wer ist daaaas?" Großvater: "Na, die mit dem schnellen Wagen. Hui." Großmutter: "Hermann, ich bitte dich! Du hast gekleckert!" Großvater: "Ich hab überhaupt nicht gemeckert! Ich hab nur gefragt, wie es dem Irmelchen geht?" Großmutter: "Du hast Wein auf dem Hemd. Tu da Salz drauf!" Großvater: "Wie bitte?" Großmutter vorwurfsvoll mit Handtrichter in seine Richtung brüllend: "Tuuu da Salz drauf!" und dann leise wie für sich: "Wie im Irrenhaus!" Schon bei der Urlaubsplanung war mir klar, dass ich den Meyerhoff mitnehmen würde. Ich mochte sein mittleres Buch Wann wird es endlich wieder so wie es nie war  sehr, auch, weil es eines der ganz wenigen Bücher ist, die mich wirklich oft zum Lachen gebrac...

Gedanken zu dem Film Corsage von Marie Kreutzer mit Vicky Krieps

  When she was home, she was a swan When she was out, she was a tiger. aus dem Song: She was von Camille   (s.u.) Ich kenne so viele Frauen, die sich ein Leben lang nicht finden, die gar nicht dazu kommen, nach sich zu suchen, die sich verlieren in den Rollen, die die Welt ihnen abverlangt.  Es gibt so viele Orte, an denen Frauen nicht den Schimmer einer Wahl haben, zu entscheiden, wie sie leben, wer sie sein möchten. Diese Orte werden mehr. Orte, an denen Frauen einmal ein wenig freier waren, gehen uns wieder verloren. Die meisten Frauen leben gefährlich. Gefährlicher als Soldaten in Kriegen.  Aber dennoch hatte ich kein Mitleid mit der Kaiserin, den ganzen Film über nicht ein einziges Mal, weil sie eigentlich nicht als sympathische Person gezeigt wurde. Was ich gut fand. Denn welche Frau kann sich etwas davon kaufen, dass sie bemitleidet wird? Elisabeth ist in diesem Film selbstzentriert, rücksichtslos, narzisstisch. Besessen von ihrem Körper, seinem Gew...