Direkt zum Hauptbereich

Write about a time, you lost faith



I dont recall ever owning any faith. So, how could I loose it in the first place? I wasn't a believer, when I was a child. I went to church, because I had to. I grew up in a catholic household, so god was male for me and old. He had a white beard. I prayed to him like this: „Please make my parents happy.“ „Please let my father stop drinking.“ But also: „Please let me have that doll for christmas, you know, the one, that can walk, with batteries.“

He was somebody, I talked to, but he still was hollow. I would also talk to trees or to myself. I would talk to my dolls or the walls. So god was a normal part of my childhood, without me ever exploring any meaning. He belonged, like the curtains belonged. You did not have to believe in him.

There was also fear. There were his anger and his rage, my sinfulness. There was no trust, no joy. You could not be yourself around god, unless you really wanted to get into trouble.

Deutschkreutz, Burgenland

I was not a believer at all. All this was part of the furnitures. His rage. His anger. They belonged, like the kitchen table. For this kind of god, you did not need faith.

Nothing about it ever touched me deep. Even though I went to a catholic all girls school, where the teachers were nuns and a male alcoholic was the schoolprincipal. Go figure that! We had a mass every, I think, Wednesday morning, we prayed a lot, we sang to god. Nothing touched me. It was boring, meaningless, hollow. A hollow universe, in which I found no place to anchor my soul. It floated above, and sometimes, I did not know, it was there.
The schoolprincipal looked down on girls. Since he was also my math teacher, and since he believed, we would all get married anyway and would rather need recipes for cooking, not math, I did not really trust myself in that area. I mean math. I also despised cooking.

Maybe I lost faith then, in the possibility for me to ever believe in a god.

I gained a knowledge of my soul, for the very first time,  when I read in one of Sartres essays on freedom, that every human was absolutely free. I was 16. It was the first message, that ever touched me down to my bones. I gained faith. In the possibility of being a human being. There was this horizon, endless, to which you could drive your development, as a human. It was an inner journey. I got that. I immediately understood, that it would be my journey. Because of Sartre, I began to study philosophy and finished it with a degree.

It was the beginning of my spiritual journey. There was something beyond the hollowness of the catholic, of the christian frame, I was raised in.
There was something, that truly spoke to me. I remember the next words, that truly touched me after my studies, were by Suzuki Roshi. They went along the line, that you should not believe anything, ever. Always question everything, with your own mind being the guide. But not your monkey mind. The other mind. The one, that is vast like the sky. Nothing could ever destroy its clarity. You only had to find it inside yourself and take residence there.
I guess, that is, what I am trying since then. Finding the sky within myself and taking residence there, while many many many clouds pass by. But I mean, this sky is so limitless, all the clouds in the universe plus me fit in there easily.

This text was, in a slightly altered version, originally published by Life in 10 minutes.

(c) Susanne Becker

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

100 bemerkenswerte Bücher - Die New York Times Liste 2013

Die Zeit der Buchlisten ist wieder angebrochen und ich bin wirklich froh darüber, weil, wenn ich die mittlerweile 45 Bücher gelesen habe, die sich um mein Bett herum und in meinem Flur stapeln, Hallo?, dann weiß ich echt nicht, was ich als nächstes lesen soll. Also ist es gut, sich zu informieren und vorzubereiten. Außerdem sind die Bücher nicht die gleichen Bücher, die ich im letzten Jahr hier  erwähnt hatte. Manche sind die gleichen, aber zehn davon habe ich gelesen, ich habe auch andere gelesen (da fällt mir ein, dass ich in den nächsten Tagen, wenn ich dazu komme, ja mal eine Liste der Bücher erstellen könnte, die ich 2013 gelesen habe, man kann ja mal angeben, das tun andere auch, manche richtig oft, ständig, so dass es unangenehm wird und wenn es bei mir irgendwann so ist, möchte ich nicht, dass Ihr es mir sagt, o.k.?),  und natürlich sind neue hinzugekommen. Ich habe Freunde, die mir Bücher unaufgefordert schicken, schenken oder leihen. Ich habe Freunde, die mir Bücher aufgeford

Und keiner spricht darüber von Patricia Lockwood

"There is still a real life to be lived, there are still real things to be done." No one is ever talking about this von Patricia Lockwood wird unter dem Namen:  Und keiner spricht darüber, übersetzt von Anne-Kristin Mittag , die auch die Übersetzerin von Ocean Vuong ist, am 8. März 2022 bei btb erscheinen. Gestern tauchte es in meiner Liste der Favoriten 2021 auf, aber ich möchte mehr darüber sagen. Denn es ist für mich das beste Buch, das ich im vergangenen Jahr gelesen habe und es ist mir nur durch Zufall in die Finger gefallen, als ich im Ebert und Weber Buchladen  meines Vertrauens nach Büchern suchte, die ich meiner Tochter schenken könnte. Das Cover sprach mich an. Die Buchhändlerin empfahl es. So simpel ist es manchmal. Dann natürlich dieser Satz, gleich auf der ersten Seite:  "Why did the portal feel so private, when you only entered it when you needed to be everywhere?" Dieser Widerspruch, dass die Leute sich nackig machen im Netz, das im Buch immer &q

Writing at the Fundacion Valparaiso in Mojacar, Spain

„…and you too have come into the world to do this, to go easy, to be filled with light, and to shine.“ Mary Oliver I am home from my first writing residency with other artists. In Herekeke , three years ago, I was alone with Miss Lilly and my endlessly talkative mind. There were also the mesa, the sunsets, the New Mexico sky, the silence and wonderful Peggy Chan, who came by once a day. She offers this perfect place for artists, and I will be forever grateful to her. The conversations we had, resonate until today within me. It was the most fantastic time, I was given there, and the more my time in Spain approached, I pondered second thoughts: Should I go? Could I have a time like in Herekeke somewhere else, with other people? It seemed unlikely. When I left the airport in Almeria with my rental car, I was stunned to find, that the andalusian landscape is so much like New Mexico. Even better, because, it has an ocean too. I drove to Mojacar and to the FundacionValparaiso