Direkt zum Hauptbereich

The attraction of emptiness


Draw a map of your secret wishes and get lost.

(c) Lilly Becker

What I learned in Sicily, was unexpected. A lesson in impermanence, tender yet stern. There is no eternity.
Everything will end. This was the simple lesson. Everything will end. EVERYTHING.

Even the things, you wanted most and never got.
Even the things, you wanted most and got, only to regret them later.
Even your love. Everything you ever loved will end.

How important is it to remember?

In Sicily I never saw a single star.
But I saw the moon. Full and promising.

Walking the coastline, it was kind of surprising to not encounter a single boat with refugees from Africa. It is not possible, to walk the mediterranean nowadays without thinking about all the people, trying to cross it. Without thinking about all the people, drowning in it.
Evrything will end.
They will end. Their hopes will end. Their hopes will end, one way or another. My hopes too.

In Rome, Jennifer got onto our train. I noticed her, because she was the only black person, and she was beautiful and her hair was blue.
She had a big suitcase. Because Italy is even more depressing for refugees than Germany, I could not help but wonder, if she was allowed to leave Rome. Where was she going?
In Bologna, I saw her again. She entered our train to Munich.
She was sitting in our car, but at the other end. I could not see her. At the Brenner, italian police came and controlled some passports. Not ours. We are white and can go, wherever we please. But Jennifers and the one of the guy sitting next to her. He was also black. I had not seen him before. I did not know, where he came into the train.
The police checked his papers and told him to get out with them.
Jennifer could stay. My daughter went up to her and asked her, if she was okay. She said, she also did not have papers. But she is pregnant and her boyfriend is in Stuttgart. She wants to go to him. Which makes perfect sense. In a world without the importance of papers, there would not be a problem.
The importance will end. But when?
We somehow hoped, the police would be generous and act humaneand let her go. When the train started driving again, and she was still on it, we thought: maybe they are. But then, the door opened and the austrian police came in. A woman, two men, and they approached her and told her to leave the train with them in Innsbruck.
I can not stop thinking about her. Where is she now? Who will help her?

I can not stop thinking about Jews in trains, driving towards Auschwitz. How everybody looked away, because everybody was busy with his life.

What was most frustrating were all the other travellers, who did not even look at her. Apart from my daughter, nobody talked to her. We understood, how it happens, that so many people can drown in the mediterranean: we are so busy with our own vacation, our life, our plans. We can not be bothered to look up, when a young black woman from Nigeria, who made it across the mediterranean, who did not drown, who does not have papers, who just wants a decent life for herself, her baby and her boyfriend, we can not be bothered to look at her, when we are coming home from our wonderful vacation in Italy, while she has to leave the train in Innsbruck, accompanied by police.

Everything will end. The concepts of fair or unfair will end.

In Italy I learn, that everything will end. Glass on the beach, in all colours, even red. I have never found red glass on any other beach. Taormina Giardini. Of course, it is beautiful here. But also decaying. So this place has become another lesson in impermanence.
Everything will end.
Even the things you wanted most, and never got will end.
Even the things, you wanted most, until you got them, will end.
You will end. Everything you ever loved, or hated, will end.

The dead fish on the beach. Its big open eye, black and white, staring at me, in a way, like it knows every secret in the universe. And why should it not? Impermanence. Staring at me.
You will end. Everything you ever wanted, and never got, will end.

Che imparo qui. Tutto finirà.
What do I learn here?
I wander the beach and I do see the beauty, but what I feel, is impermanence The rust. The dirt. The broken glass. The plastic. The bodies. Of those, who drown, and those, who dont. Everything will end. And we really help in speeding the process along, by not honoring the miracle, this earth offers to us. As an ocean, as a Jennifer. We look away all the time.
The kisses, the embraces, the eternity, will end. The Looking away, it will end. Eventually-

The stairs down to the beach are covered in rust.
They seem to be breaking soon.
We are the only tourists. Out of season. I wonder, if the hordes of tourists soon to be arriving will fall down to the beach with these rotten stairs, or if the people from Giardini Naxos will repair them, before the start of the season?
A guy, who has lived many years in the US and has now returned to his hometown of Giardini Naxos laughs: This is Italy. Good luck!
Everything will end.
Impermanence.
Good luck.
Even the lifes I wanted, and regretted, because I got them and found out, how they were beyond my illusions, will end.
There is only this moment – sounds like a cliché and like most clichés, it is true.
Truth be told though, I never succeeded in arriving in the moment. I never felt too good in it. I escaped whenever possible. The moment felt so narrow, so small. Boring. My threshold to boredom drove me out of every moment.
The attraction of emptiness. Draw a map and get lost in the folds of your deepest desires.
Good Luck!

This text was also published on Life in 10 Minutes. Thank you Valley Haggard!

(c) Susanne Becker


Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

100 bemerkenswerte Bücher - Die New York Times Liste 2013

Die Zeit der Buchlisten ist wieder angebrochen und ich bin wirklich froh darüber, weil, wenn ich die mittlerweile 45 Bücher gelesen habe, die sich um mein Bett herum und in meinem Flur stapeln, Hallo?, dann weiß ich echt nicht, was ich als nächstes lesen soll. Also ist es gut, sich zu informieren und vorzubereiten. Außerdem sind die Bücher nicht die gleichen Bücher, die ich im letzten Jahr hier  erwähnt hatte. Manche sind die gleichen, aber zehn davon habe ich gelesen, ich habe auch andere gelesen (da fällt mir ein, dass ich in den nächsten Tagen, wenn ich dazu komme, ja mal eine Liste der Bücher erstellen könnte, die ich 2013 gelesen habe, man kann ja mal angeben, das tun andere auch, manche richtig oft, ständig, so dass es unangenehm wird und wenn es bei mir irgendwann so ist, möchte ich nicht, dass Ihr es mir sagt, o.k.?),  und natürlich sind neue hinzugekommen. Ich habe Freunde, die mir Bücher unaufgefordert schicken, schenken oder leihen. Ich habe Freunde, die mir Bücher aufgeford

Und keiner spricht darüber von Patricia Lockwood

"There is still a real life to be lived, there are still real things to be done." No one is ever talking about this von Patricia Lockwood wird unter dem Namen:  Und keiner spricht darüber, übersetzt von Anne-Kristin Mittag , die auch die Übersetzerin von Ocean Vuong ist, am 8. März 2022 bei btb erscheinen. Gestern tauchte es in meiner Liste der Favoriten 2021 auf, aber ich möchte mehr darüber sagen. Denn es ist für mich das beste Buch, das ich im vergangenen Jahr gelesen habe und es ist mir nur durch Zufall in die Finger gefallen, als ich im Ebert und Weber Buchladen  meines Vertrauens nach Büchern suchte, die ich meiner Tochter schenken könnte. Das Cover sprach mich an. Die Buchhändlerin empfahl es. So simpel ist es manchmal. Dann natürlich dieser Satz, gleich auf der ersten Seite:  "Why did the portal feel so private, when you only entered it when you needed to be everywhere?" Dieser Widerspruch, dass die Leute sich nackig machen im Netz, das im Buch immer &q

Writing at the Fundacion Valparaiso in Mojacar, Spain

„…and you too have come into the world to do this, to go easy, to be filled with light, and to shine.“ Mary Oliver I am home from my first writing residency with other artists. In Herekeke , three years ago, I was alone with Miss Lilly and my endlessly talkative mind. There were also the mesa, the sunsets, the New Mexico sky, the silence and wonderful Peggy Chan, who came by once a day. She offers this perfect place for artists, and I will be forever grateful to her. The conversations we had, resonate until today within me. It was the most fantastic time, I was given there, and the more my time in Spain approached, I pondered second thoughts: Should I go? Could I have a time like in Herekeke somewhere else, with other people? It seemed unlikely. When I left the airport in Almeria with my rental car, I was stunned to find, that the andalusian landscape is so much like New Mexico. Even better, because, it has an ocean too. I drove to Mojacar and to the FundacionValparaiso