Direkt zum Hauptbereich

Writing poetry in Lisbon?

"Everything that surrounds us becomes part of us." Fernando Pessoa

When one is writing, success is not necessarily something you wanna count on. In the beginning, when I was like 15-25, I thought, I would one day be famous and of course rich. But later I learned, step by step, that in my case it was rather realistic to say, it was about the writing itself and the adventure it meant, inside and out, to just keep writing, no matter what, and to see where it leads me to. I still never cease to send my writing out into the world, for contests, to publishing companies and the like.
I try to follow the rule to send out something once every week. And in 50% of the cases I get an answer that sounds like: "interesting work, but no thanks", in 49% of the cases I get no answer whatsoever and in approximately 1% of the cases I get an answer that is like: " congrats, you were a semifinalist!" or "congrats, we will publish your poem in our e-book collection" or even once "congrats, you are on the shortlist", Whenever I get this kind of answer, I fall into utter disbelieve and shock, because probably somebody mixed me up with somebody else. Since yesterday now I am in shock again, because I got the answer with the semi finalist, which in this particular case means: a partial scholarship of 500$ to cover parts of the tuition ( a pretty expensive tuition I might add) for a 2 week international writing workshop in Lisbon/Portugal. It is called Disquiet International Literary Program in Lisbon and it was founded by american writers, who have ties to Portugal and want to deepen the mutual understanding between american and portuguese writers. (See, they must have mixed me up, because I am neither american nor portuguese!!) It takes its inspiration from The Book of Disquiet by Fernando Pessoa, which I could read, finally, after buying it 25 years ago and keeping it in the stack of unread books beside my bed and somehow in my heart. I always knew, I would read it and love it and that Fernando Pessoa was somehow a soulmate to me. Ever since I have been to Lisbon over 20 years ago (and I actually went there to have a little wild love affair with a portuguese guy named Jose, whom I met, of all places, on the spanish stairs in Rome, I AM NOT KIDDING!), I dreamed about returning and writing there. Because Lisbon is one of those places you can just drop and leave me, and I will be happy and feel homesick, when I have to go home again (I had this kind of feeling only with a few other places: Richmond/Va., Rome, New York and Berlin, maybe New Mexico, to name a few). I felt like I belong and that this city was also a soulmate to me and that I might as well stay and spend the rest of my life there. Which I didn't, because I had to spend most of it in Berlin so far. But here we go now:  I could take a workshop in poetry, walk the streets of Lisbon, take a trip or two to nearby beaches, sit around in the beautiful parks and cafés of Lisbon, revisit Belem, (did I mention, that I even slept one night on the street in Lisbon, but that was 25 years ago and I was on my way to the Algarve and waited for the bus to bring me there and did not have money to pay a room) I could meet interesting writers, make new friends, write and write and write and find out, if my feeling from over 20 years ago is still valid. But no matter what will happen, Lisbon could surround me and become again a part of me and for good or worse, that would be a great experience.

These are the ten poems, which might have helped a lot to make this dream come true, which proved again, to me, that writing is such an adventure and can lead you everywhere, maybe even, where you need to go?!
Now I just have to decide, if I am generous enough (with my self maybe) to spend part of my money for the remaining tuition, for a flight and a room, ultimately for one of my many dreams. I will sit in silence for a while and ponder this question now. Good night!

© Susanne Becker

Kommentare

  1. Congrats you are a poet! :-)

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Congratulations! How much more money will you need? You must go -- I want to visit you in Lisboa!

    AntwortenLöschen

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

100 bemerkenswerte Bücher - Die New York Times Liste 2013

Die Zeit der Buchlisten ist wieder angebrochen und ich bin wirklich froh darüber, weil, wenn ich die mittlerweile 45 Bücher gelesen habe, die sich um mein Bett herum und in meinem Flur stapeln, Hallo?, dann weiß ich echt nicht, was ich als nächstes lesen soll. Also ist es gut, sich zu informieren und vorzubereiten. Außerdem sind die Bücher nicht die gleichen Bücher, die ich im letzten Jahr hier  erwähnt hatte. Manche sind die gleichen, aber zehn davon habe ich gelesen, ich habe auch andere gelesen (da fällt mir ein, dass ich in den nächsten Tagen, wenn ich dazu komme, ja mal eine Liste der Bücher erstellen könnte, die ich 2013 gelesen habe, man kann ja mal angeben, das tun andere auch, manche richtig oft, ständig, so dass es unangenehm wird und wenn es bei mir irgendwann so ist, möchte ich nicht, dass Ihr es mir sagt, o.k.?),  und natürlich sind neue hinzugekommen. Ich habe Freunde, die mir Bücher unaufgefordert schicken, schenken oder leihen. Ich habe Freunde, die mir Bücher aufgeford

Und keiner spricht darüber von Patricia Lockwood

"There is still a real life to be lived, there are still real things to be done." No one is ever talking about this von Patricia Lockwood wird unter dem Namen:  Und keiner spricht darüber, übersetzt von Anne-Kristin Mittag , die auch die Übersetzerin von Ocean Vuong ist, am 8. März 2022 bei btb erscheinen. Gestern tauchte es in meiner Liste der Favoriten 2021 auf, aber ich möchte mehr darüber sagen. Denn es ist für mich das beste Buch, das ich im vergangenen Jahr gelesen habe und es ist mir nur durch Zufall in die Finger gefallen, als ich im Ebert und Weber Buchladen  meines Vertrauens nach Büchern suchte, die ich meiner Tochter schenken könnte. Das Cover sprach mich an. Die Buchhändlerin empfahl es. So simpel ist es manchmal. Dann natürlich dieser Satz, gleich auf der ersten Seite:  "Why did the portal feel so private, when you only entered it when you needed to be everywhere?" Dieser Widerspruch, dass die Leute sich nackig machen im Netz, das im Buch immer &q

Writing at the Fundacion Valparaiso in Mojacar, Spain

„…and you too have come into the world to do this, to go easy, to be filled with light, and to shine.“ Mary Oliver I am home from my first writing residency with other artists. In Herekeke , three years ago, I was alone with Miss Lilly and my endlessly talkative mind. There were also the mesa, the sunsets, the New Mexico sky, the silence and wonderful Peggy Chan, who came by once a day. She offers this perfect place for artists, and I will be forever grateful to her. The conversations we had, resonate until today within me. It was the most fantastic time, I was given there, and the more my time in Spain approached, I pondered second thoughts: Should I go? Could I have a time like in Herekeke somewhere else, with other people? It seemed unlikely. When I left the airport in Almeria with my rental car, I was stunned to find, that the andalusian landscape is so much like New Mexico. Even better, because, it has an ocean too. I drove to Mojacar and to the FundacionValparaiso